Translate

Wednesday, March 24, 2010


More snow!!!! It's really getting old now. Such a dark and gloomy day. But...a good day for the bead room and some quiet music. I am also working on a new project..called "DRIFT" Buoys around the Bay, A flotsam and Jetsam Art Tour. This is being put on by the Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies. They collected stray buoys from around Alaskan beaches as part of their clean-up program. So, why not use them in Art? Homer is a very Art heavy... Art community, so it just evolved naturally. You could choose up to 10 buoys...which seemed very daunting to me, so I chose two. I studied them for several days before I decided which one to start on. I already had an idea for one, and now the second one is in the "thinking it through" stage.(Did I actually say I was ..thinking it through? When have I ever done that...successfully?) They will of course, involve BEADS. I am going to post step by step photos of them as I progress. I've started on the first one...TWICE! The first attempt was a disaster, but , using air dry clay it seems to be going better...at least it seems to be. They have to be able to be put outside, so I will have to use a heavy duty marine varnish on the clay pieces. The finished pieces will be installed around our little "hamlet by the sea" for a period of time, and then they will be auctioned off at the 2010 Coastwalk Kick-Off Event in June.

No comments: